For many young men, the prospect of dressing up formally can be a daunting one. With so many different styles and options out there, it’s hard to know where to even begin. Never fear—we’re here to help.
This article will give you a crash course in all things formal wear for men. By the time you’re finished reading, you’ll be an expert on everything from tuxedos to dress shoes. So let’s get started!
The Basics of Formal Wear for Men
When it comes to formal wear for men, there are only two main categories: suits and tuxedos. Suits are more common and can be worn for various occasions, while tuxedos are typically reserved for black-tie events.
Knowing the difference between the two is crucial—after all, you don’t want to show up to your friend’s wedding in a tuxedo (yes, it’s happened before). Here’s a quick rundown of the key differences between suits and tuxedos:
- Suit jackets are usually made from wool or a wool blend, while tuxedo jackets are usually made from satin or another shiny fabric.
- Suit pants are worn with a matching jacket and typically have pleats, while tuxedo pants are worn with a cummerbund or waistcoat and do not have pleats.
- Suits can be worn with either long ties or bow ties, while tuxedos must be worn with bow ties.
Of course, there are many other minor differences between suits and tuxedos—but these are the basics that you need to know. Now that we’ve got that out of the way, let’s move on to some tips for choosing the right formal wear for your body type.
Choosing Formal Wear Based on Your Body Type
There is no one-size-fits-all solution when it comes to formal wear—the key is to choose something that flatters your specific body type. Not sure where to start? Here are a few general tips:
- Taller men should look for jackets with longer sleeves and higher button placements. Avoid anything that makes you look too top-heavy.
- Shorter men should go for lower button placements and shorter sleeves. Vertical stripes can also help you look taller.
- If you’re on the heavier side, avoid tight-fitting clothing as it will only emphasize your size. Instead, opt for loose-fitting clothing in dark colors.
- If you’re thinner, you can get away with wearing tighter clothing. Just make sure that it doesn’t look like you’re swimming in your clothes—you want to strike a balance between too tight and too loose.
These are just general guidelines—at the end of the day, the best way to figure out what looks good on you is to experiment until you find something that works well for your body type. Once you’ve found a few styles that work well for you, it’s time to move on to choosing the right accessories.
Where To Find Men’s Formal Wear
Now that you know the basics of formal wear for men, it’s time to start shopping! If you’re unsure of where to begin your search, here are a few good places to look:
High-end department stores
High-end department stores typically carry a wide range of formal wear, from suits to tuxedos to shoes. They’re a great place to start your search, but be prepared to spend a bit more money since the clothing is usually of a higher quality. Moreover, the sales staff at these stores is usually more knowledgeable about formal wear, so they can be a great resource if you have any questions.
Tux rental stores
If you need a tuxedo for a special occasion, renting is a great option. With tux rental, you can have a wide variety of options to choose from, and they typically have a good selection of sizes so you can find something that fits you well. Plus, renting is much more affordable than buying a tuxedo outright.
Just make sure you give yourself enough time to order the tuxedo and to have it fitted properly. And don’t forget to return it on time—if you keep it past the due date, you may be charged additional fees.
Many online retailers specialize in formal wear for men. These stores often have a wider range of sizes than brick-and-mortar stores, which is ideal if you’re having trouble finding something that fits well. Plus, you can usually find good deals on formal wear if you know where to look. Just make sure you read the sizing information carefully before you purchase so you can be sure that the clothing will fit properly.
If you’re looking for a more customized fit, tailors are the way to go. They can take your measurements and make sure that your clothing fits perfectly—something that’s especially important for formal wear. Of course, tailoring does come with a higher price tag, but it’s worth it if you want your clothing to fit perfectly.
No matter where you shop, it’s important to make sure that the clothing fits well. If it doesn’t fit properly, it’ll be uncomfortable to wear and it won’t look good either. So take your time when choosing formal wear, and don’t be afraid to experiment until you find something that looks great and feels comfortable too.